What to Wear During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, women should wear comfortable, supportive, and adaptable clothes.
Here are some tips on what pregnant women should wear:
- During pregnancy, comfort should be a top priority.
- Opt for stretchy or relaxed-fit clothes to accommodate your changing body size.
- Choose lightweight, breathable fabrics such as cotton and linen to regulate body temperature. Avoid polyester or any material which can trap heat.
- Avoid tight clothing.
- Invest in maternity clothes that specifically cater to the comfort and needs of pregnant women.
- Buy bras which have good support.
- Shoes with firm support and a good fit.
Here are some essentials clothes for comfortable and stylish pregnancy:
- Belly Band is a maternity support band made of a stretchy material designed to support your growing belly. It can help distribute the weight and reduces some pressure.
- Maternity Bra: Women's breasts can increase by one to two cup sizes during pregnancy. Your regular bra will not fit properly. Maternity bras are made from stretchy fabric to accommodate changing sizes and with wider straps to distribute weight more evenly.
A well-fitted maternity bra can help reduce breast pain and other discomforts, such as back, neck, and shoulder pain during pregnancy.
- Maternity Tops or loose-fitted kurtas: For comfort and ease of movement. They are also perfect for layering; you can wear them with jeans, leggings, or whatever you want.
- Maternity Jeans: Made from soft denim fabric with a supportive belly band. Like regular jeans, maternity jeans are available in various styles, colours and sizes.
- Maternity Dresses: Wear an empire waistline to allow room for the growing belly and a flattering look. Maternity dresses are available for every occasion, from casual to party wear and baby shower to photoshoot. They are comfortable, stylish & functional. Generally, pregnancy dresses have zippers or buttons for easy feeding access so you can wear them post-delivery.
- Maternity Leggings: For everyday wear, you can buy maternity leggings. Supportive, stylish, and versatile- leggings are a wardrobe staple. Leggings for pregnancy have a belly band to accommodate a growing tummy and support your back.
- Supportive Undergarments: Maternity bras, supportive underwear for full coverage and added support.
How does pregnancy affect clothing choices?
During pregnancy, a woman's body undergoes significant changes, from weight gain to an increase in the size of her breasts and belly, which affect her clothing choices.
- Belly size: As the baby grows, the belly will expand, making it difficult to button or zip regular pants and skirts. Maternity pants have stretchy waistbands to accommodate a growing belly without putting any extra pressure.
- Breast size: During pregnancy, the breasts may become larger and more tender. A maternity bra with wider straps and a stretchy fabric can provide coverage and support.
- Weight gain: Pregnant women typically gain weight throughout the pregnancy, which can affect clothing size and fit. Maternity clothes are designed to accommodate a growing body, with extra room in the belly, hips, and thighs.
- Body temperature: Pregnant women may feel warmer than usual due to increased blood flow and hormone changes. Light, breathable fabrics like cotton can help regulate body temperature.
Can I wear regular clothes while pregnant?
You can wear regular clothes during pregnancy if they don't feel tight or uncomfortable. However, as the pregnancy progresses, expecting mothers often switch to looser or maternity clothing.
Whatever you choose, make sure you feel comfortable and confident.
Why Pregnant Women Should Wear Comfortable Clothes
During pregnancy, comfort should be a top priority. Here are a few key reasons why:
- To ease physical discomforts such as bloating, back pain, and fatigue.
- To avoid restrictions on movements
- To provide support to your growing belly and back.
- For a positive body image and to feel confident.
- For safety reasons. Tight or restrictive clothing can lead to poor blood circulation.
- Overall, wearing comfortable clothes during pregnancy is essential for physical comfort, flexibility, support, confidence, and safety.
What are maternity clothes?
Maternity clothes are specially designed for pregnant women to accommodate the growing belly and changing body shape.
How to buy maternity clothes?
The key to buying maternity clothes is to focus on comfort, fit, and versatility while incorporating your style. Considering these factors, you can find clothes to help you feel confident and comfortable throughout your pregnancy.
Buying tip: Don't buy all your pregnancy clothes at once. Invest in pregnancy clothes gradually as your body changes.
When to start wearing maternity clothes
You can start wearing maternity clothes when your regular clothes feel tight or uncomfortable, usually around the second trimester (13-14 weeks) of pregnancy. It varies from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy. Generally, in the first pregnancy, you will be able to wear regular clothes for a longer time compared to subsequent pregnancies.
How to dress for each trimester
A pregnant woman's body undergoes numerous changes to support the growth and development of the fetus. Though each trimester comes with different challenges, you can stay comfortable and stylish throughout the pregnancy with a few dressing tips and tricks. Here are some general guidelines for dressing during each trimester:
First Trimester (Weeks 1-12):
During the first trimester, the average weight gain is 0.5-2 kg. There might not be a noticeable bump yet, especially for a first-time mom, but you might start to feel bloated and experience breast tenderness. You can wear your regular clothes unless they start getting tight and uncomfortable. See the signs if it's time to switch to maternity clothes.
Related Article: Your First Trimester Checklist
For the first trimester, you can wear loose-fitting tops and tunics with stretchy leggings, dresses, and kaftans with comfortable & supportive shoes.
Second Trimester(Weeks 13-28):
During the second trimester, the average weight gain is 5 - 6 kg. Your bump will become more noticeable; breasts grow and become more tender; the hips widen as the body prepares for childbirth. At this stage, you need stretchy and supportive clothes. Based on your requirement and daily routine, invest in maternity clothes essentials such as maternity jeans or leggings, a couple of tops or kurtas, one or two dresses, supportive lingerie, and nightwear.
Related Article: Your Second Trimester Checklist
Third Trimester (Weeks 29-40+):
During the third trimester, the average weight gain is 5 - 6 kg. Your belly will continue to grow as the fetus gains weight. The hips may continue to widen, and the breasts may become even larger as the body prepares for breastfeeding. Your breasts may start to produce milk, so buy a nursing bra. Buy lightweight, breathable fabric clothes to help regulate your body temperature. Maxi dresses or skirts are suitable for frequent trips to the toilet.
Overall, prioritising comfort and support is the most important thing when dressing for each trimester. Choose clothes made from breathable fabrics, have 4-way stretch, are supportive, can grow with you to accommodate your changing body size, and make you feel confident and comfortable.
Related Article: Your Third Trimester Checklist
What should you not wear while pregnant?
- Avoid tight-fitting and uncomfortable clothes during pregnancy. Though there are no hard and fast rules for what pregnant women should not wear, tight clothes can cause pain and discomfort.
- Here are some things that pregnant women may want to avoid:
- Tight clothing, which can restrict your movement
- High heels.
- Heavy jewellery.
- Unsupportive undergarments. It is crucial to wear a supportive bra while pregnant.
- Clothing made from non-breathable fabrics such as polyester, especially during summer.
Again, every woman and pregnancy is unique, so finding clothing that makes you feel comfortable and confident is essential. Consult your doctor or a maternity clothing specialist for more personalised advice.
Q: What types of clothes are best for pregnant women?
A: The best clothes for pregnant women are those that are comfortable, stretchy, and offer support for your growing belly. Maternity essentials include- leggings, tops or Kurtas, dresses, sleepwear, supportive bra, and underwear.
Q: When should I start wearing maternity clothes?
A: You should start wearing maternity clothes when your regular clothes feel uncomfortable. Generally, it's around 3-4 months of pregnancy.
Q: How can I save money on maternity clothes?
A: You can save on maternity clothes by buying secondhand or borrowing from friends and family.