When to Buy Maternity Clothes
When your clothes feel tight or uncomfortable during pregnancy, it's time to switch to maternity clothes.
For most pregnant women, it's the end of the first trimester or the beginning of the second trimester, which is around 12 to 16 weeks.
However, every pregnancy is different, and some women may need to buy pregnancy clothes earlier or later than this. For instance, if this is your first pregnancy, you may not need to buy maternity clothes until later, but if you're carrying twins, you might need them earlier.
When to Buy Maternity Clothes- ~12 weeks, or when your clothes feel tight or uncomfortable.
7 signs it's time to buy Pregnancy Clothes
- Your regular clothes feel tight, particularly around the waist and hips.
- You can not sit, stand, or bend over freely.
- You're unable to button or zip up your pants.
- Your pants are putting pressure on your tummy or digging into your skin.
- Your tops are riding up.
- Your shirt is pulling or stretching too tightly across the chest.
- Your bra feels tight or uncomfortable. The band or straps are digging into your skin; cups are overflowing.
Here are some factors that can influence the timing of when to buy maternity clothes during pregnancy:
- Body changes: Pregnancy brings various changes in a woman's body; each woman's experience is unique. Some women may experience rapid weight gain in the early stages of pregnancy due to fluid retention and hormonal changes. Some women start showing earlier than others. If your regular clothes restrict your movement or feel tight, then it's time to invest in maternity clothes.
- Personal comfort: If you are feeling physical discomfort such as back pain, pressure on the tummy due to tight clothes, or bloating, then maternity clothes can help. They are designed to be comfortable and supportive.
- Lifestyle: Your daily routines and activities. If you go to the office, you might need it earlier.
- Multiple pregnancies: In your first pregnancy, you need pregnancy clothes later, as compared to subsequent pregnancies.
- Personal preferences: Ultimately, when to purchase maternity clothes is a personal choice. If you're not ready to share the news about your pregnancy, you may choose to wear loose-fitting clothes. When you're ready to show off your growing belly, it's time to switch to maternity clothes.
During pregnancy, always prioritise your comfort and well-being.
Why are tight clothes not recommended during pregnancy?
The following are the reasons why wearing tight clothes is not recommended during pregnancy:
- Tight-fitting clothes can lead to discomfort, pain, and restriction of movement.
- It can put extra pressure on a growing belly and lead to heartburn or acid reflux.
- Tight clothing can cause health issues such as reduced blood flow, swelling in the legs and feet, and even yeast infections.
- Tight clothing can also have psychological effects, such as body image concerns and self-consciousness.
Why are maternity clothes a good investment during pregnancy?
Maternity clothes are specially designed to accommodate the growing belly and provide support and comfort to pregnant women.
Research has shown that pregnant women feel confident and have a positive body image when wearing maternity clothes.
Tips for Buying Maternity Clothes
When you start shopping for maternity clothes, look for stretchy, adjustable, and breathable pieces. Initially, buy maternity essentials such as bras, underwear, leggings, and a dress. As you progress through pregnancy, you can buy more clothing items as needed.
Where to buy maternity clothes
There are several options for where to buy maternity wear. Here are a few places to consider:
- Maternity Brands: Due to a growing demand for maternity clothing, many D2C companies, such as Wobbly Walk, specialise in maternity clothes. It offers a wide range of maternity clothes, including dresses, tops, pants, and ethnic wear, as well as delivery and nursing clothes.
- Online retailers: Many online retailers, such as Amazon and Firstcry, offer a wide selection of maternity clothes.
- Department stores: Many department stores, such as Shoppers-stop, carry maternity wear.
- Marketplaces: such as eBay to get gently used or second-hand pregnancy wear.
- Borrow or swap with friends: You can also ask friends or family members who have recently been pregnant to borrow or exchange maternity clothes.
Frequently Asked Questions related to Maternity Clothes.
Q1. What month do you start wearing maternity clothes?
Ans. When your regular clothes feel tight and uncomfortable, it is the right time to start wearing maternity clothes. It can vary from woman to woman. Maternity clothes are designed to grow with you throughout the pregnancy, so you can start browsing for options once your regular clothes become too snug or restrictive.
Q2. What clothes can I wear while pregnant?
Ans. When pregnant, you can wear anything that will keep you comfortable. Here are some options:
- Maternity clothes: They are thoughtfully designed for an ever-changing pregnant body. Due to high demand, many options are available, from tops to pants to dresses. You can buy pregnancy clothing items based on your lifestyle and personal choice.
- Loose-fitting clothes: You can also wear loose-fitting or relaxed-fit garments such as tunics, Kurtas and kaftans.
- Stretchy clothes: Clothes made from stretchy fabrics like spandex, elastane, and Lycra can also be comfortable to wear during pregnancy. Look for clothes made from breathable fabric.
- Maternity Leggings and Jeggings: They are comfortable and versatile. You can wear them every day throughout the pregnancy. Both pregnancy leggings and jeggings are available in over-the-belly and under-the-belly styles.
- Dresses: Dresses are a wardrobe staple, especially during summer. Look for dresses crafted from lightweight, breathable fabric. Mothers highly recommend Empire waist dresses.
Q3. What not to wear during pregnancy?
Ans. During pregnancy, tight or restrictive clothing; High heels; Underwire bras; Heavy jewellery; Clothes made from synthetic fabrics should be avoided. These items are not comfortable or safe to wear:
- Tight or restrictive clothing: They can cause pain, discomfort and various health issues such as restricted blood flow.
- High heels: They can increase your risk of falls. Comfortable and supportive shoes are a better option.
- Underwire bras: As your body changes during pregnancy, underwire bras can put pressure. Instead, opt for supportive maternity bras.
- Heavy jewellery: Avoid wearing heavy necklaces, earrings, or bracelets.
- Clothes made from synthetic fabrics: They can trap heat. To regulate body temperature, fabrics like cotton, linen, or bamboo are good options for pregnant moms.
Q4. Do I really need maternity clothes?
Ans. Wearing maternity clothes during pregnancy is not required, but they can help provide comfort and support as your body changes.
Maternity clothes are specifically designed for the comfort and need of pregnant women. Clothes for pregnancy are generally crafted from lightweight, breathable fabric to regulate body temperature; have some elasticity to accommodate growing bump; uses various construction feature such as smocking, pleating etc.
However, you can also opt for loose-fitting clothes, stretchy fabrics, or clothes you own, provided they can accommodate your growing belly. The key is prioritising comfort and choosing clothes that fit well without restricting movement.
For pregnant women, tight-fitted clothes are not recommended.
Q5. What are the best clothes to wear during early pregnancy?
Ans. During early pregnancy, when there are not many visible changes in your body, you can wear pre-pregnancy or regular clothes.
Remember, even in early pregnancy, try to avoid tight clothes. As your body changes, you can buy maternity clothes to be more comfortable.